Homework 6 - chpts 4 & 5
Chemisty in the kitchen
Homework 6 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Due Tuesday, 10/26/10, in class
Questions from chapters 4 & 5
1. What is the name of the kind of fats that are found in fish (and other foods, like nuts, avocado) that are a healthy part of a balanced diet, and how do they contribute to the tendency of fish to spoil quickly?
2. The Rolling Stones sing that Ã¢â‚¬Å“you canÃ¢â‚¬â„¢t always get what you want.Ã¢â‚¬Â Maybe theyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢re talking about bycatch? What does this term describe, and why is it relevant to fish as food?
3. Maybe youÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ve heard that Ã¢â‚¬Å“fish is brain food.Ã¢â‚¬Â But McGee draws a fairly direct line between marine fish in our diet and good cardiac health. Please give a brief overview of this logic.
4. Modern medicine still has no single coherent theory of aging. Really. There is no one leading explanation of how we age. But there is considerable evidence that Ã¢â‚¬Å“reactive oxygen speciesÃ¢â‚¬Â cause damage to cellular components. Thus the ROS theory of aging. What kinds of damage can reactive oxygen species do to our cells, and why is this discussed in a chapter on plants?
5. Why does cooking vegetables in acidic solution lead to a loss of green color? If any metal ions are produced as a result of this process, what is the charge on the ions?
6. What is ceviche, why does meat prepared for this type of dish have more flavor, and what does it mean for a protein to be Ã¢â‚¬Å“denaturedÃ¢â‚¬Â?