Homework 4 - chapter 2, eggs
Chemistry in the kitchen
Homework 4 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Due Tuesday, 10/5/10, in class
1. Why is an egg yolk yellow?
2. If a hen lays and egg that weighs 60 grams, about how much does the hen weigh?
3. About 15 years ago there were many health warnings about eating eggs. The concern was that eating eggs could raise and individualÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s cholesterol to dangerous levels. Does a healthy diet include eggs?
4. If eggs can be part of a healthy diet, why the association between eggs and blood cholesterol? If not, why not?
5. What is a protein, and how do egg proteins change when eggs are cooked?
6. WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s the molecular explanation for how salt can help keep cooked eggs tender? You must include a molecular-scale illustration that shows proteins and ions of Na+ and Cl-.