Chemistry in the kitchen Fall 2010
Homework 1 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ chapter 15 of On food and cooking
1. Are water molecules polar o non-polar? Draw a diagram of how water molecules surround ions of sodium (Na+) and chloride (Cl-) to illustrate your answer.
2. Sugar dissolves very readily in water, but what does it mean to say that some sugar has Ã¢â‚¬Å“dissolvedÃ¢â‚¬Â in water? That is, what is the molecule-scale description of what that would look like if we could zoom in on the sugar molecules dissolved in water? Draw a picture if that helps with your answer.
3. What does it mean to say that a fatty acid is Ã¢â‚¬Å“saturatedÃ¢â‚¬Â?
4. Find and draw an omega-3 fatty acid other than than linolenic or eicosapentanoic acid.
5. What is the storage form of fat in animals?
Why are fatty acids called Ã¢â‚¬Å“acidsÃ¢â‚¬Â? Draw a diagram to help illustrate your answer.