Topic outline

• Course Description

From the period of the earliest Christian rituals to the late nineteenth century a substantial amount of pictorial and sculptural art in Europe was focused on connecting human experience and ritual practice to the experience of and with the divine. This class begins by examining the creation of a particular Christian iconography. We will look at the artistic traditions out of which Christian art sprung both textual and visual and analyze the choices made in the creation of a canonical language of Christian imagery. During this section of the class students will be required to read the entirety of the New Testament and excerpts of the Hebrew Bible. We will then examine the strains placed upon that production in various periods from the Iconoclastic controversy, to the rise of Humanism in the European Renaissance to the Enlightenment.

Introductory level.

• Schedule of Classes and Assignments

Please click on the link below - Also please note that all articles that are not hot links are available on through the college's subscription to Jstor - You are responsible for finding them there yourself.

• Writing Assignments and Policies

Please note all written assignments are due on the due date - I do not accept late papers (there are plenty of really good reasons for this which I am happy to explain, just ask me). Also I will not accept papers submitted via email. You must upload your paper through this site in order for it to be marked as submitted.