Ecological Principles and Biodiversity: Review of basic ecological concepts with a focus on biodiversity conservation.
- Concepts of Ecological Integrity and Ecological Health
- Principles of Biodiversity Conservation
Food Systems and Biodiversity: The effect of various agricultural systems on biodiversity.
- Industrial Agriculture- Green Revolution, Biotechnology, Genetic Engineering
- Alternative Agricultural Models in Diverse Ecosystems
Indonesia - Rice/Fish Culture and Polyculture Ponds
Mesoamerica - Agroecosystems in the Humid Tropics
Semi-Arid - Southwest U.S. or Kenya
U.S. - Northeast - Organic Agriculture/Permaculture Systems
Other examples which students will present
Social Dimensions of Agroecosystems
- Economic Systems and Agricultural Systems - what is the relationship?
- Valuing Local Knowledge
- Whole System Planning at different scales
- household, landscape, farm, community, bioregion, world
- Planning Healthy Agroecosystems - environmental health, human health, cultural health
Agroecology in Practice - Designing an Agroecological Project
- Students will work in teams to put what they have learned into practice by designing small-scale models for agroecological systems. These will be presented to the class and possibly the wider college community at the end of the semester.
- Designs for potential application on the Marlboro College campus are encouraged.